S A Northern Areas

Foundations in the Transvaal and Free State
Apart from the Convents  and Institutions founded by the Dominican Sisters of King William’s Town, the Sisters were called upon to work at various Missions founded by other Religious Congregations.


1889 – 1972 Convent of the Sacred Heart


1921 – 1971 St Louis Bertrand Mission School 

1890 – 189-  Klerksdorp Hospital.
At the request of the residents of the town two Sisters were sent from Potchefstroom by the Prioress General in King William’s Town to take care of the sick who, till then had been cared for in the local gaol. Two houses were acquired, one to serve the Sisters as a Convent which later included the beginnings of the school and the other served as a hospital. It appears that the Sisters ran the hospital for about two years before they were withdrawn as the building had become unsafe for use.
1896 – 1977 Convent and School of the Sacred Heart

Photographs of the first Convent and the present Convent School


1908 Belgravia, Convent of the Sacred Heart
Now (2018) known as the Dominican Convent School, Belgravia

In 1932 the Boarding House opened with 5 girls, the numbers increasing steadily to reach a peak in 1965 with 96 boarders.

2005 —- Belgravia, Khosi Neighbourhood Foundation

1935 – —- Melrose, St Vincent School for the Deaf
1995 the Convent closed; The School continued with a number of Sisters still on the staff. By 2022 the school was totally staffed by lay people.

The Haven, Original House purchased in Melrose


1936 – —- Hyde Park San Salvador Home
1990 the Convent closed but the Home continues in 2022 staffed by lay people.

San Salvador, Hyde Park, Johannesburg

1939 – 1958 Village Main St Thomas Convent, School and Training College

The last Sisters to have left St Thomas Convent when it closed on 29 December 1958.

The College provided training in the teaching profession for many young African women. The Primary School, attached to the College, provided a Practice School for the Teachers-in-training. The Sisters withdrew from the area when, in 1959, the Government refused permission to re-register the College.

St Thomas Convent School and Training College, Village Main – a table model by Students of the College

1955 – 2003 Parktown Lourdes Convent
1963 The Convent moved from 80 Valley Rd to 19 Rockridge Rd

Lourdes Convent, Rockridge Road

Lourdes Convent, Valley Road, Park Town

1977 —– Hyde Park St Mary’s Convent Retirement Home was built on part of the San Salvador property

St Mary’s Convent, Hyde Park, Johannesburg


1924 – 1991 St Thomas Aquinas Convent and School

1991 The Convent closed but the school is still running in 2018

St Thomas Aquinas Convent and school – beginnings

Pietersburg, N Transvaal

St Scholastica’s Mission 1980

Soekmekaar, N Transvaal

1929 – 2003 Tshitali (Setali), St Scholastica’s School and Clinic.
The Mission was a Benedictine Mission at which the Dominican Sisters of King William’s Town worked.

Potgietersrus N Transvaal

1925 – 1969 St Joseph’s Convent and School
Find a brief history here

Potgietersrus Location N Transvaal (Mokopane)

1927 – 1935 Makapan St Theresa’s Mission

Molepo N Transvaal

1924 – 1929 M’Phahlele St Maurus Clinic
The Sisters had to move to a place outside of the Molepo Township, situated 26 miles South-East of Pietersburg, Polokwane Municipality:

1930 – 1957 re-named Subiaco Clinic and School

Magoebaskloof, N Transvaal

1927 – 1939 Noodshulp, St Benedict’s Mission School and Orphanage. This was a Benedictine Mission at which the Dominican Sisters of King William’s Town worked from 1927. In 1940 the boarders were transferred to St Scholastica’s Benedictine Mission in Tshitali (Setali)

Marapyane N Transvaal

St Martin de Porres Mission Marapyane

1964 – 2000 Tuinplaas St Martin de Porres

Seabe/Ramanchane N Transvaal

1974 – 1999 Our Lady of Joy Mission

Groblersdal N Transvaal 1976 – 1994 St Joseph’s Community
A small Community of Sisters did Parish work at the Mission, assisting with Missionary correspondence and giving English lessons to Black girls to prepare them for Std VIII and Matric.
Bronkhorstspruit, Sizanani, N Transvaal 1994 – 2001 St Joseph’s Community
When the Mission in Groblersdal closed the Sisters who were there at the time moved to Mission at Sizanani just outside Bronkerspruit, where they worked in the Children’s Home founded by Fr Charles Kuppelwieser as a residential home for children and young adults with moderate to profound intellectual and physical disabilities.

1928 – 1977 Convent of the Sacred Heart

Soweto / Eldorado Park Areas, Missions

1928 – 1978 Nancefield/Pimville, St Peter Claver Mission
1949 – 1983
Kliptown, St Catherine’s School
1951 – 1971
Kliptown, Chinese School


1930 – 1996 Our Lady of Mercy Convent and School

1992 The school amalgamated with CBC to become Springs Veritas College

1951 – 1976 St Mary’s Maternity Home



1954 – 1965 Louis Bertrand Mission 

Kwa Thema

1965 – 1989 Christo Nkosi Convent


1932 – 2003 Bl Imelda’s Convent and School

1973 The school closed
1971 – 1991 The Noviciate was moved from King William’s Town to Brakpan
1991 – 2003 Converted into a Retirement Home

1964 – 2000 Bl Imelda Nursery School


1987 – 2012 Bethany Convent

The Convent Retirement Home was built on the site of old School which had closed in 1973

Evaton, Vaal Areas

1933 – 1970 St Francis Xavier Mission

Nigel, Transvaal

1935 – 1987 St Hyacinth Convent and School

1976 The school closed. A small community of Sisters remained to continue their Parish Ministry.

Zeerust,  Vleeschfontein in the Diocese of Rustenburg
1928 – 1950, Mission and School of the Immaculate Conception 
This Mission was a half-way house for Jesuits on their route to the Zambesi Mission

1950 – 1962 St Margaret’s Convent and School 


1951 – 1995 St Agnes Convent and School

1995 the school amalgamated with the CBC; It is now known as St Dominic’s College, Welkom

1982 – 2015, Bronville
St Joseph’s Community

1990 – 1995 Veritas House

1991 – 1999, Wesselsbron, Monyakeng
Naledi ya Tloutle Community

Warmbaths, N Transvaal
1964 – 2000 Tuinplaas, Marapyane, St Martin de Porres Mission
1975 – 1994, Bronkhorstspruit St Joseph’s Community

1994 – 2001 St Jospeh’s Community
1976 – 1987
Apostolic Delegation
Sisters Jephta Schwarz, Lucian Bäuerlein and Philippa Sandmaier worked at the Delegation, the small Community living in a flat on the property there.